Thursday, March 27, 2014

a poem about a pond...

The Pond
I’m tired.
I’m tired of the thoughts I ain’t ever felt,
and the dreams I ain’t ever heard of.
I stare at this blank page as I try
to thread the feelings of my ink stained heart,
and all I can think to write is I’m sorry.
Sorry for the stained-glass memories smashed
by the brick thrown with my own hand.
But I pick up the shards and glue them on this page…
Because I deferred my heart for a reason.
And this Pond.
This pond is the last memory taped on to my eyes
so I can always see you.
It’s when we skipped stones as our hearts skipped beats because
seeing you was the earthquake my heart needed.
And plug my heart into the speakers and it beats on full distortion.
It’s the time you cried and cried, and I hugged and hugged,
but it never felt like enough.
Because no matter what was said, nothing compared to the lullaby
of nothing sang by the ripples that is this pond.
So we just listened. Listened. Listened to the nothingness.
Lub dub. Lub dub. Lub dub…And that was enough.

Now I didn't write this about a pond...
but if you happen to see this,
just remember the walks home and the spot..

11 comments:

  1. Marvelous, amazing poem. It's doing somersaults in my head. "Because I deferred my heart for a reason." Deferred. Great word. And the ending. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the part where you talk about the stain glass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just a truly fantastic human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way this resonated with me was really pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "thrown with my own hand"

    Imagery. So much significance with every phrase. This is seeping with a heart that loves to think.

    Also, your music playlist is radical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I remember going to the pond. It's almost like, um, well, I don't know, I can relate to this. Because I've been to the pond. Whoa. It's like, um, as a writer, I could maybe write about things that my readers have gone through too. Like we could share our experiences. Like, maybe that's the point.

    #breakthrough

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Sorry for the stained-glass memories smashed
    by the brick thrown with my own hand." "It’s when we skipped stones as our hearts skipped beats because
    seeing you was the earthquake my heart needed." One of my favorites... Also, I tried to make that sound at the end about 6 times and I never could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "seeing you was the earthquake my heart needed."

    ReplyDelete